Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

Performed another bike tour through the District. This time, I crossed via the Key bridge, so named for Francis Scott Key whose residence is near the north end of the bridge. The Georgetown area is rather splendid and certainly the place to go to have a good time.

I headed directly for the Jefferson Memorial further south. I was not the only person there, though it was surprisingly vacant. Numerous peddelboats tread the waters of the Tidal Basin over which the Jefferson Memorial looks. I locked up the bike, headed up the steps, and looked around. Four blocks of text, distinct excerpts from his writing, adorn the walls surrounding a large statue of the man. Read them from the Wikipedia article. I'll wait.

After digesting them, I tried to imagine Jefferson meshing with some of the political movements that have taken place since. Several (Prohibition, Drug War, Copyright Gestapo) are irreconcilable. I wonder of modern law makers ever stop to wonder whether their ideas are consonant with the principles of one of the most significant and beneficial philosophical influences this country has ever known. Does it worry them when they are not?

Returned to the mall, did a lap around the Capitol, and passed the Supreme Court. This time I climbed the steps, bike in hands, and walked up to the doors.

I decided that the crowds were sufficiently sparse that I could visit a museum of my choice if I desired. I parked outside Air and Space, concealed my knife in my bike water bottle, and went inside. I made a rather swift tour focusing mainly on spaceflight. The TV camera from Surveyor 3 was on display. Seeing it brought me satisfaction.

Returned, showered, napped, grilled, and watched Andromeda Strain. Those were probably two hours of the most epic death sequences ever televised. The Story of Ricky O has got nothing.

Now, sleep. Work again tomorrow.

No comments: