Wednesday, July 9, 2008

July 4th Celebrations

Part 1 of my July 4th plans included grilling. The day was sunny, clear, and cool. My roommate Carter and I proceeded to skewer a number of chunks of beef and chicken. We included slices of onion, peppers, and zucchini. With kabobs constructed, I attempted to get a fire roaring on our kettle grill. Rather than rest the fuel on a grate above air vents at the lowest point and rely on convection to produce a flow of oxygen, our grill is simply a large pan. Given the dimensions of the fire I attempted, the result was an anemic heat that demanded approximately 45-60 minutes to grill each kabob.

The result may have been worth it. Each cut was tender and juicy. All those involved concluded the grilling was a success.



Still, air holes will be nice.

--

I spent the rest of the day at home. Some of that time was spent coding. When it was time for fireworks, I remained indoors due to rain.

I spent Saturday indoors as well, though I went out for a midafternoon pedal down the bike paths of Arlington. A rather interesting rail follows I66 all the way to the Key bridge from George Mason Dr (my stoop, practically). Atlanta is missing out.

No comments: