Monday, July 14, 2008

DC Exploration

On Thursday, I attempted to visit the Whitehouse to conduct a self-guided tour. On the Metro, I began to sweat profusely and feel light-headed. By the time I approached McPhereson Square, bloodflow to my brain apparently decreased so much that my vision became impaired. I willed myself to remain upright, and when the doors opened I walked forward and groped around for a railing on the platform. I was completely blind by then. Bad news. I'm okay now though.

I need to transmit my medical care facility doctor's note to the person who arranged my tour so they don't think I'm a slacker who failed to show up because I don't value free things.

--

My parents and sister arrived later that evening. We ate Chinese down the street and planned our weekend. I had to work Friday, so they visited Smithsonian museums of their choice. We went to eat at Nathans in Georgetown again which ruled. Saturday, my dad and I drove out to Dulles to see the Steven Udvar-Hazy Center. This is perhaps the greatest single aviation exhibit I've ever seen, and I will gladly take any readers who visit and be just as thrilled to go a second time.

I have photos, but they require post-processing and downsampling. I'll try to get them up soon. I'm creating a flickr account. A separate post will chronicle what was seen with perhaps a way to prevent the strong-willed reader from avoiding spoilers.

Saturday night we ate at The Front Page in Ballston then drove down to the Iwo Jima Memorial after supper. This proved a wise choice as it was low key, parking was free, and the view was splendid. The Netherlands presented the US with a carillon tower in 1960 as a way of demonstrating gratitude for liberating them from the Nazis during 1944-45. A player comes Saturdays from 6pm-8pm and plays. With the gates unlocked, my sister ran up the stairs to obtain a 100ft higher view of Arlington National Cemetery, the Potomac, and the Mall across the river. Next week, I plan to drag Emma along closer to 6pm such that there is more light and take photographs.

Sunday, we returned to the National Gallery and I saw the only Da Vinci work in the United States: Ginevra de Benci. It is painted on both faces of a wooden panel and is mounted in a free-standing exhibit so you can see the reverse as well as the obverse. Ginepro is apparently the Latin term for juniper tree and was used to symbolize chastity. Now we see it as a precursor to gin.

With that, they left Sunday afternoon to split the trip in half. We ate well, and everyone seemed to have a splendid time.

No comments: