Saturday, December 13, 2008

Defeated



This is the gas valve from a Yugoslavian SKS I J.B.Welded into the gas block. When I got tired of banging my head against my desk trying to make my code run fast, I went into the living room and banged a hammer against a punch [and against my fingers] to remove this reluctant part so I could replace it.

Strangely, the difficulty was not that the J.B.Weld refused to give; I achieved small motion early on. Rather, the simple matter of non-zero volume wedging the part against the gas block walls made extracting it difficult.

Advice: attempting to join parts that were intended to be separate limits your options in the future.

Advice for those who ignored first bit of advice: buy a good selection of punches now because you'll need them. Drill a small pit in the part you're trying to separate, then use the correctly sized punch so you don't damage the surrounding material. Avoid stressing things like barrels by properly supporting the job with wooden blocks or substitute.

1 comment:

sstc said...

bogomips?

although I suppose that it doesn't tell you anything about the cores...